Horses are elegant animals that stand tall among the other four legged animals and is one of the few animals that learns to run very quickly after birth.
Let’s see some facts about them:
1. Horses have an average lifespan of 25 years.
2. Horses express their mood using their ears, eyes, and even nostrils! They are one of the few four-legged animals that can communicate through facial expressions.
3. With a 360 degree vision, they can easily defend themselves from predators. They have their blindspots, though.
4. Billy, a horse in the 19th century lived up to 62 years. This is the longest a horse has ever lived and it runs to around 2.5 times the lifespan of an average horse.
5. Horses gallop at a speed of 44 kph. The fastest horse ever ran at a ground breaking speed of 88 kph.
6. A male horse is called a stallion while a female horse is called a mare. The young ones are called ponies.
7. Horses have over 205 bones that comprise of their skeleton.
8. Horses are herbivores, which means that they are strictly vegetarian.
9. Horses can smell and hear better than humans. Their ears are too sensitive and immediately move towards the direction of sound.
10. For mammals that live on the land, horses have got the biggest eyes.