Tarantulas are the largest of all spiders and are mostly found in deserts and rainforests. Due to constant destruction of their habitat, they started becoming best sellers as pets! Some of them are even endangered now.
Let’s see some amazing facts about this spider:
1. While tarantulas can be extremely large, there are ones that are way too small. The largest ones might be as huge as a plate, while the smallest ones can be as small as a fingernail.
2. Just like many other spiders, tarantulas have 8 legs and 2 fangs, but are hairy.
3. Small insects, birds, and lizards are their main appetite. They cannot chew their food. Therefore, they inject digestive juices into their prey and wait until they turn into juice. Their prey sure wil face a horrible death.
4. The Tarantula Hawk is an arch-rival of the tarantulas. It is a type of wasp which has the ability to paralyze this spider and lay eggs on it while it is still alive. The new-borns will eat the spider to death!
5. Tarantulas weave silk around their territory. This helps them protect their eggs and nests.
6. Male tarantulas are much smaller than the female ones. Most of the females will eat the males after mating.
7. Female tarantulas lay up to 2000 eggs which hatch after 3 months. But most of the young ones do not live past an year.
8. Female tarantulas have a life span of around 20 years while the male ones live up to a maximum of 10 years.
Liked these facts?