Let’s face it. Bugs are everywhere. It doesn’t matter how many times you spray your lawn or garden with insecticides, they always come back. Having pets or little children doesn’t make the process any easier either. Did you know that 90% of Americans pour nearly 300 million pounds of pesticides on their lawn, each year? The truth is, most of these pesticides are insoluble, which means they stick around for a very long time. This is not good for any wandering pet or child.
The pesticides we use today, usually come in the form of balls, crystals, granules, foggers or sprays. These products make up nearly 35,000 pesticides in the market’s circulation, and they are responsible for the majority of human household poisonings in the U.S. Most insecticides are lethal enough to disrupt an animal’s biological process, such as feminizing male animals and disrupting their ability to reproduce.
Contrary to what the labels will tell you, our pets are not immune to insect sprays. It is a common occurence for our cat or dog to either ingest insecticides indirectly by contaminated food, or to come into contact with it directly. Chemicals in pesticides are fat soluble which makes it easy for them to pass into our internal organs, such as the liver. Over time, these chemicals can cause severe problems with the nerves, hormones, and the immune system.
Ok, so insecticides aren’t exactly good for anything living. They aren’t supposed to be. Insecticides aren’t picky, and won’t give your insects, dogs, or children mercy when they come into contact with it. Do you want your kids playing in your yard after you’ve sprayed for spiders and ticks? Do you want your dog sniffing that bush you just sprayed for mites?
Fortunately, there are safe alternatives that are not only cheaper than the common store bought insecticide, but many of them can be made in our homes in the form of mixtures, teas, and harmless sprays. These non-toxic alternatives can be quite effective at killing bugs and insects without harming our pets and children.