These days you have several options when you decide to own a pet. From usual dogs, cats, birds to reptiles and rodents are easily available depending on the likes of pet owners. Here we will discuss about rodents and health tips that will help you keep them in good condition.
What are Rodents?
Pet rodents include hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, guinea pigs etc. They can make great pets if opted in a right way. They look cute, small and naughty. At the same time, they carry germs and bacteria that can make you sick.
So here are some health tips for your pet rodents. Have a look.
- Pick up the right pet Rodents which suits your family. As they are not recommended for children, pregnant women or people with weak immune system.
- You should always wash your hands immediately after touching, feeding or cleaning your pet.
- Do not kiss them at all. Not at all safe. Never nuzzle or hold rodents very close to your face.
- Pet rodents excrete in the cage so you need to keep it clean every day to prevent odor and infections.
- You can use absorbent bedding as well for your small pet. So that they can absorb the urine and keep the cage clean.
- Rodents are very sensitive therefore you should always handle them with care and keep your movement slow.
- Rodents are fond of peace. Give them a retreat area in their cage where they can spend time peacefully.
- Take them for veterinary checkups every month.
- Keep a check that they don’t discharge from their eyes, nose or mouth.
- You need to see the pet tail area as well daily there should be no wetness and also it should be free form caked-on-stool.
- Feed them with the food they like most. Make sure it is not stale. Don’t over feed them.
- Keep the temperature of the cage according to the requirement of rodent’s body.
- You should never eat, drink or smoke while playing with your cute pet.
- Keep them away from your kitchen area as they have some germs which can make you sick.
- Take your rodent for a bath twice in a week at least. Use good or medicated shampoo or soap.
- Brush their hair after every bath. It helps to keep the hair free from tangles and lice.
So pet lovers although rodents are petite and adorable, they are very sensitive and need extra care. You should keep their cage clean and hygienic. If you follow these steps their cuteness will compensate for the little extra you have to spend on their well being.